Paris, October 6, 2022 — Republic Softwarean open innovation ecosystem for smart, secure and sustainable mobility launched by Atos, Dassault Systèmes, Orange, the Renault group, STMicroelectronics and Thales, will present a demonstrator of a secure, connected and bidirectional charging station for electric vehicles (EV) , for individuals and professionals, at the Paris Motor Show this year.
Currently, nearly 80% of owners of electric and plug-in hybrid cars choose to charge their vehicle at home, at work, in a building or in a private car park. As the electric vehicle market grows rapidly, convenient access to charging has become a priority. In Europe, IHS Markit forecasts cumulative EV charging station deployment to grow to 24% CAGR over 2020-30[i].
The “Mobilize Powerbox®[ii] of Software République is an innovative technological demonstrator meeting several key objectives in Europe for:
- Facilitate access to charging for all EV users.
- Contribute to the intelligent management of electrical networks.
- Provide a solution to cybersecurity risks in the integration of EV charging networks.
- Strengthen the industrial and technological sovereignty of this new market segment.
The charging station, with a power range of 7 to 22 kW, incorporates the know-how of:
- Orange in 4G telecommunications and related services.
- Groupe Renault in the architecture of charging systems for Electric Vehicles.
- STMicroelectronics in semiconductors, with its microprocessor (1) and communication coprocessor (2) ensuring an interoperable solution capable of providing smart charging services, including bi-directional V2G (vehicle-to-grid) charging.
- Thales cybersecurity and data protection – thanks to Thales’s secure credential and access management system, fully compliant with interoperability standards.
Project members have also teamed up with other technology partners for their expertise, including IoTecha Corpfor the electronic design of the charging station, and THE CROSS for its manufacture at Symbiose, the company’s new electronic assembly plant of the future in France. In collaboration with Mobilize, the Groupe Renault brand dedicated to new forms of mobility, the products in the “Mobilize Powerbox®” range will be marketed in 2023. The bidirectional version will make it possible to use the storage capacity of the Li-ion battery of a vehicle as an energy source. Without impacting the autonomy necessary for mobility and in all simplicity, the system will make it possible to control energy flows, improve the rate of use of renewable energies and support the electricity network by reinjecting energy into it by when needed: a scalable and adaptive charging station that can transform a vehicle into a model power station. Fifty thousand systems of this type (vehicle and charging station) together produce the equivalent of a power plant and can thus supplement the production of fossil energy. Thus, each owner of the “Mobilize Powerbox®” V2G charging station connected to an EV becomes an actor in the ecological transition.
With the “Mobilize Powerbox®”, Software République wishes to democratize the bidirectional charging functionality and contribute to intelligent energy management. The charging station will be exposed to the Booth Mobilize (Hall 6) media day, October 17and will be presented by the Software République team at 11 a.m..
(1) ST’s microprocessor (an STM32MP1) is an open platform for the development of increasingly demanding industrial applications in terms of performance and security. It offers users the flexibility to develop their solutions based on open-source software, while combining real-time management and low power consumption. Using the OpenSTLinux distribution and the STM32Cube ecosystem also significantly reduces development time. Additionally, the STM32MP1 microprocessor series is part of ST’s ongoing commitment to providing industry-qualified microprocessors for at least 10 years.
(2) The ST2100 is a communication component optimized for the smart building market and designed to allow the easy integration of new protocols such as ISO 15118 based on a Linux architecture. It effectively covers the use case of the connected charging station thanks to the expertise of IoTecha Corp, a partner that ensures the development and maintenance of the services inherent in a connected charging station. This expertise has been built over the past decade through close collaboration between STMicroelectronics and IoTecha Corp.
For more information on Software République, visit: softwarerepublique.eu
Republic Software: [email protected]
Follow Software République on:
July 15, 2021
[ii] MOBILIZE POWERBOX® is a registered trademark of the Renault group.